|Longport Historical Society-About Us||Longport Historical Society-Musuem|
|Longport Historical Society-Pictures||Longport Historical Society-Events|
Visit the Eight Rooms of the Longport Historical Society Museum
2305 Atlantic Avenue, Longport, NJ 0403
"Longport - The Way We Were"
Our museum is housed in a 1939 Coast Guard Station which was later used as Longport Borough Hall for over 40 years. The building has received both New Jersey and National Registered Historic Landmark status.
The museum is equipped with an outdoor ramp and stair chairs to the 2nd and 3rd floors.
The 1882 Room
- Artifacts and pictures of Longport’s First Families.
- History of the Church of the Redeemer.
- The disappearance of the first ten streets of Longport.
- Developers of Longport
- The Frye family
The Police Room
- Fingerprinting, Cameras, and old Police Equipment.
- Police Reports from the 1920’s and 1930’s.
- The DePamphilis Collection.
- Visit our adjoining jail cells.
- Longport Junior Police
- FBI Training in Longport
The Storm Room
- Early Nor’easters and Hurricanes
- The Hurricane of ‘44
- The March ’62 Storm
- Super Storm Sandy
The Betty Bacharach Room
- Miss Longport
- Our Men at War
- Leon Leopardi – Our Night Mayor
- The Longport Mothers’ Holiday Club
- The Flying Nun
- Billy Kretchmer’s Wall
- Hollywood Stars in Longport
The Devonshire Room
- The first homes, hotels, and summer residents.
- Ferry boats, trains, trolleys, and buses.
- Amelia Earhart on the beach in Longport.
- Ozzie’s, The Longport Inn, Longport Marine, Gospel Hall,
The Canterbury, Winchester House, The Widener School, and Larry’s Pier.
<strong "mso-bidi-fonThe Ocean Room
- Rum Runners
- Life Savers and the Coast Guard
- Longport Beach Patrol
- The Ice Cream Man
- The Kelly Mile
- Beach Pictures
Volunteer Fire Company Room
- Old Fire Fighting Apparatus and Apparel
- Pictures of Longport Fires
- 100 Year History of the Fire Company
- Fire Hats Over the Years
The Map and Reference Room
- Platt Books of Longport
- Longport Directories
- Longport Videos
- LP News Clippings since 1885
- Longport Reference Books
- Lincoln’s Bed – Maybe!
Volunteers have cleaned out the museum third floor and plan to furnish a Berthing Room as used by the Coast Guard in the early 1940’s.
We are looking for donations of any sort – whether they be artifacts, financial contributions, or much needed manpower!